Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memorial Day 2011

    On Memorial Day in the US we honor those who have died and/or served the rest of us by fighting those who would threaten our freedom.  And we are grateful for their service and sacrifice on behalf of the rest of us.

    And when do we give honor to ourselves for the wars we wage within ourselves against programs, ideas, belief structures and feelings that hinder or obstruct our freedom and threaten to take us down or keep us imprisoned?

   There is an ancient wisdom teaching which states, "As above, so below; as within, so without."  If this is so, what does my life show me?  Is there harmony, peace and abundance in myself, my body, my relationships, my work, my finances? 

   As I scan through my life I see holes.  I see battles that have been fought for years still being fought.  Is this going anywhere?  Is progress being made?  What is the purpose, the goal?  Are they battles for territory, to uphold principles, or for survival perhaps?  I believe these battles, though they may look like they are about external circumstances, at their core are the results of our desire to achieve states of inner peace, love, joy, self acceptance and freedom.  And the challenges can seem recurring and endless.

    In my practice I have seen several people experience repeated blows to their heart that I thought might have been to much for them.  Yet the next week they return with a new outlook or some other evidence of soul growth.   I never cease to be awed by their presence, their ability to face what is, move through it and into a new self perception resulting in positive changes in their lives and relationships.

   So this day I honor all of us in the battles for personal freedom from tyranny, myself included.  We are worthy of great honor and respect and love for the resilience we demonstrate in the face of these challenges coming from both within and outside of ourselves.

No comments: